Saturday 31 May 2014

Violet Box May 2014 Review

Violet Box is my 2nd subscription box and I'm so thrilled when I got my box and saw the items inside. I received it last week but just too busy to write a review.  

So here's my box


I love everything about this box, the purple ribbon, the magnetic clasp and it's definitely reusable.

Here's my loot



It comes with an info card which I find very helpful.

The back of the info card shows a sneak peak for the June Violet Box



So here's what's inside my box

LUSH Popcorn Lip Scrub $9.95 25g
This moisturizing lip scrub has coconut and jojoba oils, sugar, sea salt and polenta.  All natural ingredients are a big plus to me. I have been using this every night and this leaves my lips very soft and smooth. This is my first time to use a lip scrub and I'm enjoying using it every time. I love that this is a popcorn flavor and the instructions say lick the lips after scrubbing to remove the residue. I like the smell and the taste of this lip scrub.

VERDICT: highly recommended, great product, good value for money


Aside from being all natural, this product is also handmade and mine was made by Sabita. Check out their website to view all their 100% vegetarian products and the campaigns that they support. You can buy this product from LUSH website or from your nearest LUSH store.


Nuxe Creme Merveillance $64.95 50ml
This French cream is formulated for normal to dry skin. It claims to reduce all parameters of the visible expression lines which is what we call wrinkles.  I don't really have deep wrinkles yet so I gave this to 
Mr SF to try. I asked him how it feels like and if he likes it, he looked at me funny and just said, "It feels normal!" Haha.  It says on their website that you'll see results in two months time so I doubt  this sample can make a visible difference. I am not sure if I will buy this product as it's too costly for me.

VERDICT: haven't tested it so I can't give an advise, costly


Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse $24.95 50ml, $39.95 100ml 
This is the No. 1 best selling face product in France and I'm pretty curious with this item. This is a multi-purpose dry oil that you can use for your face, body and hair. It has 6 Precious Plant Oils (Macadamia, Hazelnut, Borage, Sweet Almond, Camellia and St John's Wort.) It claims that it nourishes, repairs, softens the skin and reduces stretch marks.

I think you're only supposed to get 1 sample but I got 2 so I'm extra happy! My brain is already programmed to like this product because of the reviews but when I tried it, I'm not completely sold. I'm probably one of those few that doesn't like the smell. It reminds me of my grandmother's perfume! I also have mixed emotions if I like using a dry oil or not as it doesn't feel like my skin was well moisturized even if I used a lot already. It does say that it helps reduce stretch marks so I'll probably buy the 50ml of this and see if it will really help remove those ugly marks. I'll probably try the Golden Shimmer version as it claims to give your hair and skin a shimmer glow and hope it smells different as well. I suggest when buying Nuxe products, check different websites or stores as some sites may have promos that can give you samples or freebies.

VERDICT: not yet completely convinced that this is a great product, may recommend to others, may buy again, price is fair enough


Timeless Truth Miracle Rejuvenation Mask $7
This rejuvenation mask claims to improve the appearance of dark spots, fine lines and wrinkles.  It says it's perfect for skin hydration during the colder climate so a thumbs up to Violet Box for including this item now it's almost winter.  This is a unique mask as not only you have to adjust it to fit your face, you have to attach it to your ears, lift the chin layers and wait for 15-20 minutes.  I'll probably use it one of these days but definitely not 3-4 times a week as per its recommendation. 

VERDICT: not yet tested, may recommend to others, price is fair


Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil $22

I absolutely agree that this is the perfect all-in-one make up tool for highlighting, concealing and brightening the brow and eye area. I love that it easily blends with your skin and not sticky at all. I found this wonderful video shared on Beauty and Beyond on how to use this wonder pencil. I used it yesterday as a concealer for my eyebags, eyeshadow and  to highlight my brows, nose and cheekbones. I must say I totally love the effect! It's so easy to use and it kept my face looking fresh all day and that's hard to achieve with my oily face. I will definitely buy another one and for just $22, I think it's a bargain!

Check the Youtube video HERE

VERDICT: love this product, highly recommended, will buy again, definitely worth your money


Goldwell StyleSign Sleek Perfection $24.95
It claims to protect hair from the effects of hot styling tools. It says it's humidity resistant for up to 24 hours for a silky straight look. I only got a sample size but it's a fair size and I have used it several times now and still not empty.  Goldwell can usually be bought only in salons and I have tried searching some sites where you can buy it and choices are very limited. I like this product as it makes my hair shiny and doesn't leave my hair looking like it has just been fried! It also has a formula that helps shorten your straightening time which is a plus for those who are always in a hurry.

VERDICT: good product, recommended, fair price



Eve's Ready to Wear Lipstick by Teeez $32

This lipstick claims that it nourishes, hydrates and repairs cracked or dry lips. I got the Tempting Pink shade which I think is a shade darker to Paradise Pink that the other ladies got.  I was really thrilled when I saw this lipstick as I love the packaging and I like the color when I made the swatch. However, it turns out the looks can be deceiving with this product for me.


I used it for one day and here's what happened to my lips! I ended up with very dry and near to cracking lips! I don't know if it's my lips or the lipstick, but it seems that they don't like each other! I was really disappointed as I have high hopes for this item as it specifically says it nourishes and repairs dry lips but it was the exact opposite for me.  Good thing I got a LUSH Popcorn Lip Scrub to rescue my lips, very convenient!


I also discovered that although the shade looks like a warm pink, I ended up looking like I'm wearing a nude lipstick with a frosted look. It makes me look so washed out and pale. But since I love the packaging and I hate to just throw it out, I still use it and put another dark colored lipstick over it. I'm still hoping that this lipstick and I will eventually become friends and won't give me dry lips anymore!

VERDICT: disappointing product, will not recommend, a little bit pricey



Full sized products I got:
LUSH Popcorn Lip Scrub $9.95
Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil $22
Eve's Ready to Wear Lipstick by Teez $32
Timeless Truth Miracle Rejuvenation Mask $7

Total value of these products:  $70.95

You can buy most of these products from Violet Box.

Monthly subscription for Violet Box is only $22.95 and getting full sized products worth $70.95 makes it worth it. Although some items didn't suit me, I'm still happy with this box as I  get to try items I haven't heard before and I love trying out new things. You wouldn't know what works best for you until you try it anyway.

If you want to subscribe to Violet Box, it will be nice and will be appreciated if you can use my referral code or referral email below.  :)

REFERRAL CODE: 169092
REFERRAL EMAIL: smilingfilipina@gmail.com


Did you like your May Violet Box as well? 
What items do you love or hate?

I'd love to hear from you.  :)

Thanks for reading.

Keep on smiling!  :)

xoxo Mia





4 comments:

  1. I'm not subscribed to violet box but looks like a very impressive box this month :)

    I have the lush lip scrub, it smells divine!

    LilynotLouise | Beauty and Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! that lip scrub is awesome and it's made from all natural ingredients which is a plus!

      Violet Box just announced that they will be putting a full size GHD styling product for June's box and try using the code VIOLETBOX10 for a $10 off on your first box. I'm just not sure if it's still valid though. It will be nice if you will use my referral code 169092 too. :)
      Cheers! -Mia

      Delete
  2. Violet box got nice contents..
    http://www.leavepillow.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! And it just keeps on getting better! :)

      Delete